If so, consider an approach to skincare that is unique, natural and effective. Naturopathic dermatology aims to reveal the root cause of your skin problem and uses treatments with a “First Do No Harm” approach. The chronic use of oral and topical antibiotics, steroids, retinoids, contraceptives and androgen receptor blockers can have harmful side-effects and long-term consequences. Read more about the key foundations of naturopathic dermatology, root causes of skin problems, “food as medicine,” lab testing and natural skin care treatments.
KEY FOUNDATIONS of Naturopathic Dermatology
- Food and drink we put into our bodies have a huge effect on our skin.
- Topical skincare products can affect your body internally.
- Prescription medications often just treat symptomatically and don’t address the root cause.
- Bacteria living on the skin play a crucial role in pH balance.
- Our skin is a barometer of what is occurring in the internal body.
ROOT CAUSES of Skin Problems
- Blood sugar dysregulation
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Imbalanced hormones
- Oxidative harm
- Food allergies and sensitivities
- Gut microbiome dysbiosis
- Use of harmful skincare products
FOOD AS MEDICINE approach
Understanding which foods to emphasize and which to avoid in your diet is critical.
- Foods to emphasize in diet include these properties—anti-inflammatory, fatty acids, antioxidants, prebiotics, probiotics and collagen-boosting nutrients.
- Foods/substances to consider avoiding—sugar, dairy, gluten-containing grains, alcohol, caffeine, eggs, corn, nightshades, peanuts and soy.
LAB TESTING to determine underlying causes
Many of the following functional medicine tests we offer can help discover underlying causes.
- Hormones—testosterone, estrogen, progesterone
- Food sensitivities—IgG antibody levels to 87 foods
- Micronutrients—vitamins A, B3, B6, B12, biotin (B7), C, D, E, zinc, glutathione
- Stool—gut microbiome, digestive function, inflammation/immune function, intestinal permeability
- Sugar and inflammation—fasting insulin, HgA1c, CRP
- Adrenals—cortisol and DHEA
- Dietary and lifestyle recommendations
- Nutrient support
- Botanical medicine
- Topical recommendations
- Hygiene tips
- Stress management education
Call (415)-643-6600 for a free 15-minute consultation to learn more about how a naturopathic dermatological approach can help improve your skin.
Dr. Katie Strobe has proven success in treating stubborn skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, hives, seborrheic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, fungal infections and more. Other areas of specialty include: digestive support, emotional and mental wellness, and hormone balancing. She is available Tuesday through Friday, and is currently accepting new patients.